Skip to main content

Meet Pixie


This is my new kitten Pixie. She's almost 5 months old now and adorable. After losing two of my three cats over the past couple of years I've been meaning to get another cat for a while but left it over a year before actually getting round to it!

I was hoping to get a kitten from the local Cat's Protection place but they deemed where I live to be too near a busy road to be able to have anything other than an adult female indoor cat. They had to Google my address as they admitted they didn't know the area but did seem to know the road in question was "too busy" {it's not}.

So knowing an adult female cat probably wouldn't be able to handle my adult male cat Eddie who loves a fight and has bullying tendencies if he senses any weakness in other cats I found a kitten in the local ads.


The first photo I took of Pixie in a rare moment of stillness - she looks very serious here - it didn't last long.

Pixie came from a stables and she smelt very strongly of horses for the first couple of weeks {very strongly!} Her mother was black and her father may have been a Maine Coon...the owner of the stables wasn't too sure. The rest of the litter were a mix of colours and she is a funny mix of grey, light ginger, sand, tabby stripes and spots and a spot of ginger on the top of her head. The bottom of the feet are mostly black too. I suppose she could be described as a tortoiseshell but without any white.

She's a very sweet, affectionate kitten and has no fear of Eddie. She was very keen to get to know him but it took him about a week to get used to this furry bundle of energy rushing up to sniff him and make friends. They now wrestle regularly, usually instigated by Pixie who keeps coming back for more even when Eddie nearly flattens her :D


She prefers to drink running water rather than from a bowl. She hasn't tried drinking from the toilet yet like Eddie used to when he was a kitten. Give it time.... 

Pixie doing pre-liver of sulphur checks....yes, go ahead that bowl doesn't contain anything I could possibly eat. She likes to make sure everything is ok for me before I start oxidizing jewellery. 

 She also likes to get behind things. Electrical things with lots of wires. A squirty water bottle and orange oil help persuade her this isn't a good idea. She seems to have got over her running up the curtains phase but plant eating is still very popular. So is chewing my hair.

She's escaped outside once when the bathroom window was left open too wide one day. Luckily she didn't go far - the backyard of the house next door but one. It's empty at the mo so I had to climb over their high fence to get her back as she was too petrified to move. Let just say I found out I'm a lot more supple than I realized :D

She also came into season a week before she was due to be spayed {about 3 weeks ago} which was before she was even 5 months old. This is really young to be on heat and I wondered what was wrong with her to begin with. With all the noise she was making, rolling around on her back and squirming in front of Eddie {who wasn't the slightest but interested}, I soon worked out what was going on. I'm glad that isn't going to happen again now she's been spayed.



The only decent photos I can get of her are a) when she's about to go to sleep as above, b) when she is asleep and c) when she's just woken up. The rest of the time any photos I take of her are mostly blurred, action shots.

Here's a couple more photos then I promise I'll stop with the waffle about the {adorable} kitten......



Here's an old photo of Eddie just to even things out a bit...




                       Copyright © 2017 Cinnamon Jewellery. All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. You have gotten yourself a super adorable kitty. She looks so smart and sassy. I didnt know that cats that young could be in heat but she looks quite big and well built for a kitten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new housemate Tracy. Pixie does sound like a bundle of energy! She is so cute. Both your cats have such beautiful green in their eyes. The shelters here are also very protective when adopting a cat out. It feels like adopting a child with how thorough the process is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, she's so adorable :) and it's great she helps you out with your jewellery work ;)
    I like the photo of Eddie pretending not to be put out at the new 'competition' ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco